Facilities Services Administration and Finance Division
Ruben Armiñana, President
Monday, June 22, 1998
Current Issue Date
Monday, June 22, 1998
Monday, June 22, 1998
This policy and procedure shall be followed for all campus space modification and renovation proposals.
The purpose of the Space Modification and Renovation Policy is to:
- ensure a systematic and consistent procedure is followed in the development of proposals for the renovation and/or modification of campus space;
- establish a coordinated planning, health, safety, regulatory and code compliance review process for responsibilities performed by various departments and committees on campus;
- provide proper technical expertise to those developing such proposals, including compliance with all applicable local, state and federal regulations regarding construction, environmental health and safety;
- ensure that the full expense of the project is identified and that the necessary funds are authorized by the appropriate administrator before initiation of the project; and
- ensure that approved projects are completed within budget and within a construction period responsive to the needs of the applicant and feasible within the limitations of Facilities Services.
- Any department wishing to undertake a project requiring modification of interior building space under its assignment should first confirm assignment of that space in the Space Data File, by consulting the Director of Planning, Facilities Services, Division of Administration and Finance.
- The proposing department should provide the Director of Planning with a written description of the proposed project and a preliminary sketch which identifies proposed wall, floor, and ceiling changes, window and door changes; painting, carpentry, electrical, plumbing, heating and ventilation changes; fixed cabinetry modifications; as well as moveable equipment (chairs, desks, tables, machinery, etc.) to be removed and/or installed in the modified or remodeled space.
- Surplus university property resulting from the modification or renovation of university space, including cabinetry and equipment, shall be disposed of according to sections III C. and III E. through H. of the SSU Policy on Disposition of Surplus Property.
- Working with the proposing department, Facilities Services will evaluate the preliminary proposal and assist in developing a formal project proposal which addresses the following issues:
- technical feasibility, including regulatory and code requirements;
- technical advisability;
- aesthetic and design standards appropriate to the project and to campus facilities;
- schedule for initiation and completion;
- furniture and other movable equipment implications; and
- safety implications.
- Consultation for preliminary plans and/or development of the formal project proposal may require extensive involvement by Facilities Services and may therefore accrue administrative overhead costs. Such costs shall be borne by the initiating department.
- Alternatively, departments may submit formal proposals developed by external consultants when required or appropriate, in which case Facilities Services shall provide final specification, plan, compliance review services, for which it is authorized to charge an administrative fee.
- In completing its analysis of the project, Facilities Services, working with the department, will coordinate the above project aspects with the following individuals or their designees:
- the Senior Director, Facilities Services;
- the Senior Director, Human Services;
- the Fixed Assets/Property Accountant, Financial Services; and
- the Associate Vice President, Information Technology.
- Facilities Services will prepare a formal project estimate, including the following project costs:
- administrative overhead, and
- a construction contingency of no less than ten percent (10%) of projected costs. All unused contingency funds will be returned to the requesting department.
- Verification, Approval and Implementation
- After completion of the formal project proposal, schedule and budget, the Senior Director, Facilities Services, shall provide written verification of the project proposal, schedule and budget.
- Following Facilities Services' verification, the department shall identify the account and obtain authorization from the appropriate administrator responsible for both the account and the space to transfer funds to an account to be established for the project .
- The Director of Planning shall forward the sketch, description, cost estimate, schedule of work, authorization, and account number to the President or his/her designee.
- The President or his/her designee shall notify the Senior Director, Facilities Services of campus authorization, the funding source to be encumbered, authorization to encumber funds by the appropriate administrator, and the project account established by Financial Services for the project.
- The project will proceed according to the schedule developed above, after funds have been transferred from the requesting department to the project account.
- Changes in Design, Scope or Cost following Authorization
- Material changes to the project's approved design, scope and cost which do not exceed ten percent (10%) of the cost of the project, and for which the appropriate administrator has provided authorization and a funding source, may proceed as soon as funds have been transferred from the department authorizing the changes to the project account.
- Material changes to the project's approved design, scope and cost exceeding ten percent of the cost of the project will require supplemental approval by the President or his/her designee.
Related links: Surplus Property Policy